SSL certificates are products that check the accuracy of site addresses and ensure that data communication between two points is transmitted securely over an encrypted channel. With the SSL certificate recommended by search engines, you will not only ensure your website security, but also have the “safe website” tag recommended for SEO.
SSL certificates provide data security and are an important criterion for your website to rise in Google search results.
To find out if you have an SSL certificate, you can check the https extension in the address bar when you enter your website through the browser.
How can an SSL certificate be taken ?
Prominent SSL certificate providers are RapidSSL, Comodo and GeoTrust. Basically, the technical advantage provided by all certificates is the same, but SSL certificates offered by service providers may differ according to warranty, support service and additional features.
Before getting an SSL certificate, we can recommend that you contact your host service provider for detailed information.
What are the types of SSL Certificate?
SSL certificates are divided according to the verification level they provide (DV SSL, OV SSL, EV SSL) and the number of domain names they secure (Multi Domain SSL) and subdomains (Wildcard SSL):
- For DV SSL, which is the fastest type of SSL certificate, the certificate authority verifies who owns the domain name by looking at the WHOIS information.
- In the address bar of websites with DV SSL; It has padlock and HTTPS indicators.
- Since DV SSL only requires confirmation of domain name ownership, it can be issued in minutes.
- DV SSL is suitable for informational websites such as personal websites and blogs where users do not need to login or share personal information.
- To obtain an OV SSL certificate, you must prove that your organization is legitimate.
- It can take a few days to complete the verification process.
- Websites with OV SSL have both padlock and HTTPS in the address bar and the business ID appears when the lock icon is clicked.
- Thus, visitors; understand that your website is operated by a real company and that they are on the official, original website of your brand.
- OV SSL certificates are suitable for INSTITUTIONS that receive personal information such as name, address, password, date of birth, phone number of their customers on their website through any form.
- It is also recommended for the websites of institutions that care about brand value and company reputation.
- EV SSL is the SSL type with the strictest verification process, which can take several weeks to obtain, as it requires detailed examination of various documents belonging to the institution.
- EV SSL certificate; It is the most reliable SSL certificate in terms of verification level, with all the padlock symbol, https and green address bar indicators in the address bar. In browsers such as Chrome and Firefox, when the lock icon is clicked, the name of the company that the website belongs to appears.
- EV SSL certificates are suitable for websites that need to share sensitive data (TR ID number, payment information…) such as online sales sites, sites with paid subscriptions and fundraising sites for charity.
- Only commercial organizations can apply for EV SSL.
Multi domain SSL certificate
- Multi Domain SSL is a solution to secure all your domain names (such as website.com, .websiteniz.org) and subdomains (such as forum.websiteniz.com, destek.websteniz.com) with a single SSL.
- Multi Domain SSL certificates; It is suitable for large businesses and organizations with websites with multiple websites and subdomains.
- Wildcard SSL Certificates are a type of SSL used to secure multiple subdomains with a single SSL certificate.
- Wildcard SSL; your domain name named websiteniz.com; It also secures addresses such as login.websiteniz.com and purchase.websiteniz.com.
- Wildcard SSL certificate; Suitable for those who own a single website with subdomains.